Monday, July 21, 2014

"Doom" Charles Bronson Style or "How I Learned to Restrain My Natural Inclinations"

Life is a kind of game.  When I was in school and suffering badly between the demands of work and getting school work done I often dashed off responses in my business life as well as just got stuff done quickly to get it done.  One of my mentors called me on it.  I was complaining about how I just wanted to get stuff done but I wanted better quality.  

She turned to me Master Splinter style and said.
"Emperor Hideyoshi the Japanese Dayimo when urged to go to battle quickly said, Patience is learning to restrain one's natural inclinations.  He of course waited, devised a better strategy and won."

Later that night I couldn't sleep and was watching how Charles Bronson handled the everyday challenges of his day to day life.  








He was patient.  Tons of shots in which he waited, scanned, thought, took aim and fired.  He was very systematic and defeated every obstacle.

I still couldn't sleep after the movie.

I sat down and started to play Doom and made it past three places that I always had trouble with.  I didn't rush.  I waited, scanned, thought, took aim and fired.  I was very systematic and defeated every obstacle.




The next day I wrote some beautiful elegant code.

Now I think about Charles Bronson and Doom even before I hit the "send" button on my email.



No comments:

Post a Comment